- Indian Orthodox Herald – Breaking Catholicate, Malankara, Indian Orthodox Church News And Doctrinal Information - http://www.orthodoxherald.com -

High Priest of God… Go Forth In Peace… Metropolitan Paulose Mar Pachomios Passes Away

COCHIN: The first Metropolitan of Mavelikkara Diocese Paulose Mar Pachomios fulfilled his earthly ministry and passed on to the world of saints at 9 am IST (11.30 pm EST) on August 1, 2012. The Metropolitan was under treatment at Lake Shore Hospital, Cochin for the past five days and was suffering from acute liver ailments for the last two years.

Metropolitan Zachariah Mar Anthonios of Kollam Diocese, who was also under treatment at Lake Shore Hospital, visited Mar Pachomios at 6.00 am and accompanied the Metropolitan with prayers and his presence once the news came in that the Metropolitan’s condition was worsening. Inmates of Theobhavan, Mavelikkara Diocesan Center, were also with the Metropolitan during his last moments.

IOH has learned that the mortal remaining of Mar Pachomios will be moved to St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s Orthodox Church, Kurichy, Kottayam and then to Mavelikkara. Entombment is planned to take place at Bethany Ashram, Perunaadu, where the Metropolitan was a member from his adolescence on.

Mar Pachomios came to Lake Shore Hospital on Thursday, July 26 for routine checkup and his doctors immediately detected serious deficiency in oxygen saturation. This led to his admission and eventually the Metropolitan was moved into the intensive care unit for better attention and care against the worsening condition of his health.

Upon receiving the news about the Metropolitan being admitted to the ICU, Catholicos of the East Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Paulose II donned the Holy Unction for the sick to the Metropolitan on Saturday, July 28. Metropolitan Dr. Yuhanon Mar Chrysostomos and Metropolitan Dr. Zachariah Mar Aprem assisted the Catholicos during the Holy Unction.

Catholicos Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Paulose II along with Oommen Chandy, Chief Minister of Kerala, visited the Metropolitan again on July 31, 2012. As the Metropolitan had been struggling with breathing trouble and was wearing oxygen mask to support breathing, he could only responded to them through writing. Although his condition had been better on July 31, 2012 in the morning, which gave better hopes to many, the ultimate decision from the Lord was different.