Written By: on May 9th, 2012 and filed under Church News, Features, News.

NEW DELHI: Annies Kanmani Joy from Kerala has scripted a new chapter in the history of the prestigious All India Civil Service Examination.

She is the first nurse to qualify for the Indian administrative service, having secured 65th rank in the examination. As there are over 85 vacancies in general quota in the glamorous IAS, Annies is confident of joining the IAS cadre. Interestingly, Annies, 26, is already in the All India Services. She appeared for last year’s examination and was selected for the Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS). She is currently undergoing ICAS training in Faridabad, Haryana.

As her aim was to join the IAS, she decided to try her luck and came out with flying colours. What adds more sheen to her story is that she is a member of a farming community in the remote Pampakuda village in Ernakulam district, unlike the majority of other achievers who are from cities and big towns and have a family background of high academic records. Her father Joy is a farmer and mother Leela a housewife.

IAS exam “My father’s decade old dream has come true,” she told Gulf News over phone from Faridabad. Joy used to tell his daughter about the IAS exam and joining government service when she was in school.”But I had no idea about it then. I began thinking seriously only when I was doing my one-year internship in 2009 after completing my BSc in nursing at Thiruvananthapuram Medical College.

“A close relative of mine was then doing his LLB in the city. He motivated me. Finally after finishing nursing, I decided to take up the challenge.’’

Initial confusion – But there was initial confusion whether a nursing student could take the IAS exams. “I was then told that any graduate from a recognised Indian university could appear for the exam.’’

She took Malayalam Literature and Psychology as her optional subjects for the Civil Service exam. She joined the Kerala Civil Service Academy in Thiruvanathaparuam for overall coaching and brushed up her knowledge on Malayalam literature at St Thomas College in Palai, a small town near Kottayam. And for the last part of her preparations, she went to Delhi and joined a coaching class in an institute there.

Annies K Joy is a member of St. Marys Church, Faridabad of Delhi diocese and daughter of Joy Paul.

Express India News

Click For More Articles By:

Readers are welcome to leave their thoughts and reflections below by posting a comment on this topic.
(1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Email This Post Email This Post

Print This Post Print This Post

Disclaimer: Indian Orthodox Herald does not moderate or edit the comments posted in this column. All opinions are solely of the writers and IOH holds no responsibility what so ever for the views written here below.

18 Responses for “Annies Kanmani Joy, the first nurse to qualify for Indian administrative service”

1. harsh raman says:

Mam congrats to you .Mam please give the name of coaching institute from which u prepared for Ias

2. hai annie mam realy i proud of u ! I am te final year nursing student in pondicherry. U r my role model mam. I want became IAS OFFICIER

3. Congrats…
    Manju Sabu

4. ningaraj says:

hi….. dis s ningaraj from govt college of nursing Bangalore, at d outset I heartily congratulate u on Ur grand success in civil service examination. Really u have set a wonderful example abt hw a downtrodden person can achieve a almost impossible task and u hv opened a new chapter in the history of Indian nursing……… I hope ur achievement would inspire thousands and thousands of young nurses to take up new challenges…………… I congratulates u once more and wish u a great carrier for u…………..

5. KAVITHA says:

Congrats annies!
    you have made nursing profession proud. its a great achievement.

6. woh!!!!! very good God bless u my girl, Fly up up & up all the best from JLNH & RC Bhilai Durg C. G.All the best on behalf of nurses…

7. Congratulations Annies IAS!
    You have done it! A history you made and brought glory to Kerala. I’m proud of you as I also hail from your neighborhood Muttuchira. Let our young boys and girls emulate your steps and do greater thing for our country rather than becoming like vegetables. Congratulations again and again from my Heart of Heart ! God bless you in all the steps and your loving parents. I appreciate your call/ e-mail!. Pl fn
    Love and regards
    K.A.Augustine,Astt.Audit Officer,AG,Audit, Goa.
    Smilejasmin57smile@gmail.com
    M 09420689687

8. congrats dear…kindly suggest me about the coaching institute where u did?

9. ANJALI says:

congraduation…… all the best for ur future

10. congratulation
    it will inspire other also

11. Lalit says:

All the best Annies, Wish U a great career ahead……

12. Grace. P says:

Dear Annies Kanmani Joy, I A S,

I would appreciate if you could give me a telephone call

My bobile no. is 09446278072

and land line is 474 2764652

Love and regards,

Grace.P,
    St. Thomas Orthodox Cathedral,
    Kollam

13. shijaf sk says:

its realy good one u made for others especially because this wil make all nurses get inspired and try for any upsc exam.and also the dignity they fail to express will come out.thanks .

14. John says:

Annie Joy is attending the Faridabad IOC church but she is basically from Onakkoor, Sehiyon Jacobite church and was a Sunday School Teacher there. for her conveninence, she is attending nearby Orthodox church.

15. Grace. P says:

Dear Annies Kanmani Joy, I A S,

In these hard times for the Church, the above article and news in national news papers, T V and other medias of your success in passing with flying colours the I A S; is a refreshing, soothing and encouraging read for the Malankara Orthodox Church faithful.

To add to the beauty of your achievement is the information that you chose Malayalam Literature and Psychology as your optional subjects for the Civil Service exam.
    In this context, I request you to do all you can to encourage our youngsters and teen agers, students and especially Sunday school students of our Church to be proud of our mother tongue, the sweet Malayalam.

Additionally I request you to express your opinion on “Including Malayalam Language Also In To Our Sunday School Curriculum”, particularly for our outside Kerala dioceses.

I myself am a counselor with MA in Sociology and have completed our church course on counseling and your choice of Psychology as the other optional subject for I A S is appreciated.

My regards to your father who encouraged you to reach this highest administrative position of the Government of India.

Please do pray for me and my family too.

Grace.P,
    St. Thomas Orthodox Cathedral,
    Kollam

16. Paul says:

here is a correction- Annies is 2nd nurse.Alice vaz from west bengal is first.2005 west bengal cadre

17. NT says:

She is the second nurse, first nurse is Bengal Cadre 2005 Alice Vaz R IAS

18. Dear Annies:

It is indeed a great achievement. Your determination got you there. I am sure your parents’ prayers and God’s blessing were you.

Congratulations. I am sure, it will inspire others.

Love and regards