“Give thanks to the Lord because he is good; his love is eternal.” Psalms 107:1
Thanks to The Almighty, St. Mary’s Orthodox Cathedral, Hauz Khas, New Delhi has been renovated and is ready for rededication. His Holiness Baselios Marthoma Paulose II will be the Chief Celebrant for the consecration ceremony on Friday, 21st October 2011 at 5.30 p.m. Metropolitans H.G. Dr. Youhanon Mar Demetrios, H.G. Joshua Mar Nichodemos and His Grace Dr. Zachariah Mar Aprem will be the co-celebrants.
Going down memory lane many of you will remember this church as the first congregation of Orthodox Christians in the Delhi. Since the year 1952 from the day of parish formation till date, it has covered various milestones. It has undoubtedly been the mother of all parishes across Delhi and NCR and has been able to live up to the expectations of the objectives set by the visionaries – both priests and laity who worked hard for its development. It is seen today as not only a place of worship, but contributing to the Society through educational institutions like St. Paul’s Senior Secondary School, St. Paul’s Junior School and a Healthcare centre for the needy at St. Mary’s Medical Centre, Aya Nagar.
Words are not enough to thank those who have contributed immensely to this parish since its inception. The moment of rededication is right time to bring together our thoughts, dreams and challenges to continue working towards the people of God and the society as a whole to keep the value of ‘True service’ alive through our Cathedral.
A walk through of how our Cathedral has evolved over these years:
Parish Formed on 19 December 1952
Foundation stone laid on 19 May 1964 by His Holiness Moran Mar Ignatius Yacoob III
Consecrated on 6,7 April 1968 by His Grace Mathews Mar Athanasios
The Parish Hall Inaugurated on 30 April 1968 by His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia
Declared Cathedral – On 11 July 1976 by H.G. Dr. Paulos Mar Gregorios, Metropolitan, Delhi
Kurisumthotti – Foundation stone laid on 19 July 1999 by H.G Job Mar Philoxenos, Metropolitan, Delhi
Consecrated on 2 May 2000 by H.G Job Mar Philoxenos, Metropolitan, Delhi in the presence of H.G. Kuriakose Mar Clemis, Metropolitan, Sultan Bathery Diocese.
St. Paul’s Chapel - Consecrated on 7 April 2000 by H.G Job Mar Philoxenos, Metropolitan, Delhi
Golden Jubilee Celebrations – Inaugurated on 18 December 2001 by H.H. Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, Catholicos and the Malankara Metropolitan, in the presence of H.B. Thomas Mar Themotheos, the Catholicos Designate.
St.George Chapel, Aya Nagar – Consecrated on 25 April 2002 by H.G Job Mar Philoxenos, Metropolitan, Delhi
Golden Jubilee Celebrations – Concluded on 29 December 2002 by H.H. Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, the Catholicos and the Malankara Metropolitan, in the presence of H.B. Thomas Mar Themotheos, the Catholicos Designate. H.G Job Mar Philoxenos, Metropolitan, Delhi
Give thanks to the Lord….
St. Mary’s Orthodox Cathedral
Hauz Khas, New Delhi