TAMPA, FLORIDA: Ground breaking ceremony for the new building of St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Tampa, Florida, took place on Sunday, February 27, 2010.
All parishioners moved with their vicar Fr. George Paulose to the five acre property near Interstate 75 for the ceremony. All of them were thrilled and their enthusiasm was visible in their bringing of their own shovels, including little children!
Construction of the new Church is to start at the end of March this year. After construction, the building will be a 5000 square feet facility, finished in Cathedral style with two domes, one above the main hall and one above the altar. The hall planned will be of 1500 square feet, big enough for all parishioners to socialize after services as well as to serve as a place for spiritual organizations to hold their meetings.
“Within this facility we plan a basket ball court and a volley ball court. The new Church will, therefore, be a place not only for spiritual growth, but for the mental and physical well being as well of each faithful. Moreover, this will be a place for the retired senior members to meet during the day and for the youth and adults to meet during the evenings or weekends”, affirmed Fr. George Paulose in his speech.
“We wanted to have this event to particularly take place after Holy Qurbana on this day for two reasons. For one, today is the all souls day and for the other, it is the commemoration of Saint Dionysius of Vattasseril and Dr. Thomas Mar Makarios, the first Metropolitan of American Diocese”, said Fr. Paulose to IOH.
Total estimated cost for construction is $ 700000.00.
St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Tampa was started in 1989. At present there are 50 subscribing families. Manoj Max Palakkat is the current treasurer and Binu Cherian serves as secretary. John Jacob is heading the building committee.