- Indian Orthodox Herald – Church News And Doctrinal Information - http://www.orthodoxherald.com -
Malankara Syrian Christian Association: History
Posted By Editor On January 1, 2010 @ 7:58 pm In Articles,Episcopal Election | 3 Comments
The Mulamthuruthy synod summoned by the patriarch peter III in 1876, resolved to have an elected body called the Malankara Syrian Christian Association to manage and control all the religious and social concerns of the Malankara church.
The constitution of 1943 has clearly defined the composition and representation of the association. In article 71: a priest and two laymen elected by each parish general body and the members of the existing managing committee shall be members of the association. This was later amended in time with Supreme Court directive. Now the representation of the lay people is based on the number of parishioner
The Malankara Metropolitan is the president and the Metropolitans with administrative charge of Diocese shall be vice-presidents of the Malankara Association.
The Malankara Syrian Christian Association is the parliament of the church where it elects the members of the Sabha Managing Committee, Episcopas, Catholicos and Malankara Metropolitan for the Church.
1. 1653 at Alangad elected Ach deacon Thomas as designated Metropolitan. This meeting also had set up an advisory council of four members.
2. 1836 at Mavelikara on January 16 at St. Mary’s Church. This meeting was presided by the Malankara Metropolitan Cheppad Mar Dionysius. This meeting rejected Bishop Wilson’s proposals and decided to sever connections with CMS. The decision is know as Mavelikara Padiyola .
3. 1843 at Kandanad. Presided by Mathews Mar Athanasius. Appraised the appointment of Mar Athanasius by the Patriarch.
4.1869 presided by Pulikottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Punnathra Chacko Chandappillai Kathanar as Priest-Trustee and Kulangara Ittychan Piley as lay-Trustee
Mulamthuruthy Synod and after
1.1876 (1051 Midhunam 15-17) at Mulamthuruthy and presided by Patriarch Peter III. This meeting constituted a Church Managing Committee with 8 clergy and 16 laity. Decreed 18 Canons and established Malankara Syrian Christian Association.
2. 1886 (1062 Chingam 31) at Old Seminary Kottayam. Presided by Pulikottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Konat Korah Yohannan Kathanar as Priest Trustee and Kunnumpurathu Kora Ulahannan as lay Trustee
3.1892 (March 30 – 1067 Meenam 19) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Konat Kora Mathan Malpan as Priest Trustee.
4. 1895 (November 21 – 1071 Vruchikam 7) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Re-elected Konat Kora Mathan Malpan as Priest Trustee.
5. 1901 (April 24 – 1076 Medam 12) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Kunnumpurath Ulahannan Kora (C.J.Kurien) as Lay Trustee)
6.1908 (February 27 – Kumbaham 15) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Re-elected Kunnumpurath Ulahannan Kora (C.J.Kurien) as Lay Trustee) Elected Vattasseril Geevarghese Kathanar to episcopate. Designated Vattasseril Geevarghese Kathanar as Malankara Metropolitan, succeeding Pulikkottil Joseph mar Dionysius
7. 1911 September 7 at M.D.Seminary, Kottayam presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius. Elected Palappallil Paulose Kathanar as Priest Trustee and Chirakadavil Kora Kochu Korula as Lay Trustee. Elected 4 Metropolitans. 1. Kochuparambil Paulose Ramban. 2. Vakathanam Geevarghese Ramban. 3. Kallacheril Punnose Ramban. 4. Pampady Kuriakose Ramban
8. 1925 On May 1 at Niranam St. Mary’s Church, presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius Elected Vakathanam Geevarghese Mar Philexinos as Catholicos Elect.
9. 1930 On September 4 at Old Seminary, Kottayam presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius Elected 5 priests and one lay man to episcopate. 1) K.T.Geevarghese Ramban Kizhakkethalackal, Puthencavu. 2) Valakkuzhiyil Ouseph Kathanar, Mallappally. 3) Paret Mathews kathanar, Puthuppally. 4) Fr. Alexios of Bethany, Ranny Perunadu. 5) Cheriya Madhathil Scaria Malpan 6) K.C. Chacko. Also Elected 33 members to Sabha Managing Committee. Elected more members to the constitution committee. Decided to submit the draft of the constitution within one year. Appointed a committee to draft the constitution with O. M. Cherian as the convener.
10. 1931 On July 10 at M. D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius Elected Erikat E. I. Joseph as the lay Trustee and decided to establish a Theological College.
11. 1934 on December 26 at M. D.Seminary, Kottayam presided by Catholicos Geevarghese II. Elected K. M. Mathen Mappilla as Secretary. Decided the office of the Malankara Metropolitan to be vested in the Catholicos. Adopted the Constitution. Introduced the Catholicate Fund.
12. 1951 May 17 at M.D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Baselios Geevarghese II elected Vattakkunnel Mathew Kathanar and P.E. Daniel Kathanar to episcopate. Elected the Managing Committee members with Clergy 22, Laity 44 and nominated 15. Approved the amended constitution and raised the strength of the Managing Committee.
13. 1958 December 26 at Puthencavu, presided by Baselios Geevarghese II. Elected Manalil Jacob Kathanar as Priest Trustee, and Uppoottil Kurien Abraham as Lay Trystee. All Metropolitans from Patriarchal side were recognized.
14. 1959 September 16, at M.D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Baselios Geevarghese II. New Managing Committee with Clergy 24, Laity 48 and 18 nominated.
15. 1962 May 17, at Niranam St. Mary’s Church and presided by Baselios Geevarghese II. Elected Augen Mar Themothios as Catholicos Elect.
16. 1965 December 28 at M.D. Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Baselios Augen I. Elected T.S.Abraham Cor –Episcopa as Priest Trustee. Elected managing Committee with Clergy 29, Laity 57 and 22 nominated. Elected C. T. Thomas Ramban, Malpan N.A.Yohannan, Fr. K. Philipose, Fr. Paul Varghese and Fr. M. V. George to episcopate.
17. 1970 December 31 at M.D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Baselios Augen I.
Elected the managing Committee Members with Clergy 29, laity 57 and Nominated 22. Elected Mathews Mar Athanasius as Catholicos Elect.
18. 1974 October at Niranam St. Mary’s Church presided by the Senior Metropolitan elected Managing Committee Members with Clergy 29, Laity 57 Nominated 22. Elected Fr. M. V. George, Fr. Paul Varghese, Fr. K. C. Thomas, Fr. K. K. Punnose and Fr. P. V. Joseph to episcopate.
19. 1977 may 16, at Mavelikkara Thazhakara MSS High School presided by Baselios Marthoma Mathews I, and elected Uppootil Kurien Abraham as Lay Trustee. Elected the Managing Committee Members with Clergy 29 and laity 57. Elected Mathews mar Coorilos as Catholicose Elect. Also Elected Fr. K. K. Mathews, Fr. Yuhanon O.I.C, Fr. T.E.George, Fr. M. M. Jacob and Ramban C. Zachariah Tabore Dayara to episcopate.
20. 1980 May 1 at M. D. Seminary Kottayam presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews I and elected P. C. Abraham Padijarekkara as the Lay Trustee. Association also elected the new Managing Committee Members. Clergy 38 – Laity 76
21. 1982 December 28 at M.G.M. High School, Thiruvalla presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews I and elected Konat Abraham Malpan as Priest Trustee. It also elected 5 priests to Episcopate. 1.) Ramban K. G. Geevarghese M.A, Keeyathu Othara. 2.) Fr. Philipose Thomas M.Th, Puthenparambil- Naranganam. 3.) Fr. K. T. Thomas M.Ed; B.D , Kizhakkethalackal, Puthencavu. 4.) Fr. K. I. Paul M.A; B.D. Mangatt Kollannur, Kunnamkulam. 5.) Fr. K. Mathai B.Sc; B.Ed, Kootarazhikathu, Chenkulam.
22. 1985 October 23 at M.D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews I. The strength of the new Managing Committee from 20 dioceses was fixed at 138. Clergy elected 36. Clergy nominated 10. Laity elected 72. Laity nominated 20.
23. 1987 December 29 at M. D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews I and elected Fr. Mathai Nooranal as priest Trustee. Election to episcopate (one priest) was unsuccessful.
24. 1989 December 28 at Pathanamthitta Catholicate College presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews I. Elected 5 priests to episcopate. 1.) Fr. Kuriakose Perumethmannil, Koipram 2.) Fr.Job, Pathanapuram Dayara 3.) Fr. W.A.Cherian, Attumalil Varambathu, Punallor 4.) Fr.M.A.Mathai, Vazoor 5.) Fr. George Kurien, Puliyeril, Kolladu. Elected 108 New Members to the Managing Committee. Nominated members 30.
25. 1992 September 10 at Parumala Seminary presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews II. Thomas Mar Themothios of Malabar was elected as the Catholicos Elect. Elected 2 priests to episcopate. 1.) Fr. Jacob Cherian, Pathanapuram Dayara. 2.) Fr. Paulose OIC, Betheny Ashram.
26. 1994 May 26 at Parumala Seminary presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews II elected 108 members to the new Managing Committee. Nominated members 30
27. 2002 March 20 at Parumala Seminary to set right the position of Malankara Metropolitan- of the Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews II. As per the directive of the Supreme Court Justice Malimad was the observer for the Association. Association Elected 108 members to the Managing Committee. Nominated members 30.
28. 2004 June 10 at Parumala Seminary presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Mathews II and elected Fr. Dr. O. Thomas as Priest Trustee. Elected 4 priests to episcopate. 1.) Fr. D.K.J.Gabriel, Kudassanadu, 2.) Fr. Dr. M.C. Cherian Chengaroor, 3.) Ramban Augen Perangattu, Ranni 4.) Fr. Varghese John Kaviyoor
29. 2006 September 21 & October 12 at Parumala Seminary presided by Catholicos Baselios Marthoma Didymos I validated the decisions taken by the Association since 1971 and elected Paulose Mar Milithios of Kunnamkulam as Catholicos Elect. The strength of the Managing Committee is fixed at 159. Elected members 129. Nominated members 30.
30. 2008 September 11 at Pmpakuda presided by Baselios Marthoma Didymos I, elected Fr. Johns Abraham Konat as the Priest Trustee and M.G.George Muthoot as Lay Trustee. Association also elected 7 priests to episcopate. 1.) Ramban Fr. M. S. Yohannan, Vadakkamchery 2) Fr. Joseph Pathanapuram Dayara 3) Fr. Stephen OIC Bethany Ashram. 4) Fr. John Panicker, Kundara. 5.) Ramban Fr. Christophorus Kozhenchery 6.) Fr. Mathew Baby Mavelikara. 7.) Fr. Alex Daniel, Puthur
31. 2010 February 17 at Sasthamkotta Mount Horeb Ashram, presided by Baselios Marthoma Didymos II, elected 7 priests to the episcopate. 1) Fr.Dr.George Pulikkotil 2) Fr.Dr.John Mathews 3) Fr. Dr. Sabu Kuriakose 4) Fr. Yohanon Ramban 5) Fr.Dr. Nathaniel Ramban 6) Fr. Dr. V. M. Abraham 7) Fr. V. M. James
Article printed from Indian Orthodox Herald – Church News And Doctrinal Information: http://www.orthodoxherald.com
URL to article: http://www.orthodoxherald.com/2010/01/01/malankara-syrian-christian-association-history/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.orthodoxherald.com/wp-content/uploads/malankara-association.jpg
 Mavelikara Padiyola: http://www.mavelikara.org/html/mvk_padiyola.php
Copyright © 2009 Indian Orthodox Herald - Breaking Church News And Doctrinal Information. All rights reserved.