The Mulamthuruthy synod summoned by the patriarch peter III in 1876, resolved to have an elected body called the Malankara Syrian Christian Association to manage and control all the religious and social concerns of the Malankara church.
The constitution of 1943 has clearly defined the composition and representation of the association. In article 71: a priest and two laymen elected by each parish general body and the members of the existing managing committee shall be members of the association. This was later amended in time with Supreme Court directive. Now the representation of the lay people is based on the number of parishioner
The Malankara Metropolitan is the president and the Metropolitans with administrative charge of Diocese shall be vice-presidents of the Malankara Association.
The Malankara Syrian Christian Association is the parliament of the church where it elects the members of the Sabha Managing Committee, Episcopas, Catholicos and Malankara Metropolitan for the Church.
1. 1653 at Alangad elected Ach deacon Thomas as designated Metropolitan. This meeting also had set up an advisory council of four members.
2. 1836 at Mavelikara on January 16 at St. Mary’s Church. This meeting was presided by the Malankara Metropolitan Cheppad Mar Dionysius. This meeting rejected Bishop Wilson’s proposals and decided to sever connections with CMS. The decision is know as Mavelikara Padiyola.
3. 1843 at Kandanad. Presided by Mathews Mar Athanasius. Appraised the appointment of Mar Athanasius by the Patriarch.
4.1869 presided by Pulikottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Punnathra Chacko Chandappillai Kathanar as Priest-Trustee and Kulangara Ittychan Piley as lay-Trustee
Mulamthuruthy Synod and after
1.1876 (1051 Midhunam 15-17) at Mulamthuruthy and presided by Patriarch Peter III. This meeting constituted a Church Managing Committee with 8 clergy and 16 laity. Decreed 18 Canons and established Malankara Syrian Christian Association.
2. 1886 (1062 Chingam 31) at Old Seminary Kottayam. Presided by Pulikottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Konat Korah Yohannan Kathanar as Priest Trustee and Kunnumpurathu Kora Ulahannan as lay Trustee
3.1892 (March 30 – 1067 Meenam 19) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Konat Kora Mathan Malpan as Priest Trustee.
4. 1895 (November 21 – 1071 Vruchikam 7) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Re-elected Konat Kora Mathan Malpan as Priest Trustee.
5. 1901 (April 24 – 1076 Medam 12) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Elected Kunnumpurath Ulahannan Kora (C.J.Kurien) as Lay Trustee)
6.1908 (February 27 – Kumbaham 15) at Old Seminary, Kottayam. Presided by Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysius V. Re-elected Kunnumpurath Ulahannan Kora (C.J.Kurien) as Lay Trustee) Elected Vattasseril Geevarghese Kathanar to episcopate. Designated Vattasseril Geevarghese Kathanar as Malankara Metropolitan, succeeding Pulikkottil Joseph mar Dionysius
7. 1911 September 7 at M.D.Seminary, Kottayam presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius. Elected Palappallil Paulose Kathanar as Priest Trustee and Chirakadavil Kora Kochu Korula as Lay Trustee. Elected 4 Metropolitans. 1. Kochuparambil Paulose Ramban. 2. Vakathanam Geevarghese Ramban. 3. Kallacheril Punnose Ramban. 4. Pampady Kuriakose Ramban
8. 1925 On May 1 at Niranam St. Mary’s Church, presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius Elected Vakathanam Geevarghese Mar Philexinos as Catholicos Elect.
9. 1930 On September 4 at Old Seminary, Kottayam presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius Elected 5 priests and one lay man to episcopate. 1) K.T.Geevarghese Ramban Kizhakkethalackal, Puthencavu. 2) Valakkuzhiyil Ouseph Kathanar, Mallappally. 3) Paret Mathews kathanar, Puthuppally. 4) Fr. Alexios of Bethany, Ranny Perunadu. 5) Cheriya Madhathil Scaria Malpan 6) K.C. Chacko. Also Elected 33 members to Sabha Managing Committee. Elected more members to the constitution committee. Decided to submit the draft of the constitution within one year. Appointed a committee to draft the constitution with O. M. Cherian as the convener.
10. 1931 On July 10 at M. D. Seminary, Kottayam presided by Vattasseril Geevarghese Mar Dionysius Elected Erikat E. I. Joseph as the lay Trustee and decided to establish a Theological College.
11. 1934 on December 26 at M. D.Seminary, Kottayam presided by Catholicos Geevarghese II. Elected K. M. Mathen Mappilla as Secretary. Decided the office of the Malankara Metropolitan to be vested in the Catholicos. Adopted the Constitution. Introduced the Catholicate Fund.